Now that the winter has well and truly set in it’s time to really start thinking about home safety.
This time of the year brings lots of rainfall, freezing temperatures and vacant properties, so make sure your home is safe by following these handy tips:
- Turn water off when leaving your home for few days and drain them to ensure you don’t come home to burst pipes.
- Ensure your pipes are adequately insulated to prevent them freezing when the temperature drops.
- Make sure your Christmas tree is placed away from heat sources.
- Unplug all lights when going to bed or leaving the house.
- Never leave lit candles unsupervised.
- Clean gutters to prevent leaves from building up and stopping water flow.
- Make sure your chimneys are cleaned before you light a fire.
- Ensure all windows and doors are locked when leaving the house.
- Keep your side gate and shed bolted.
- Make sure all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are in working order.