We reckon the hype surrounding coconut oil is warranted. It’s safe and natural, relatively inexpensive and has HEAPS of handy uses – particularly for mum-to-be, mum and baby!
The oil can either be rubbed on topically or eaten, providing numerous benefits for your everyday routine, as well treating a number of pesky health issues.
1. Coconut oil contains a substance called lauric acid which can kill harmful bacteria and viruses, as well as the yeast Candida Albicans, which causes yeast infections such as thrush.
2. It’s a super effective treatment to clear up cradle cap.
3. It’s handy for a quick energy boost. While coconut oil contains 90% saturated fatty acids, these are not like the saturated fat we get from animal foods. They are metabolised differently and go straight
to the liver where there are used a quick source of energy.
4. Rubbing it on nursing mum’s nipples helps soothe cracked skin.
5. Its anti-bacterial properties makes it a great topical treatment for fungal skin infections.
6. Its anti-inflammatory properties soothes and moisturises eczema.
7. It balances blood sugar and helps to keep morning sickness at bay.
8. A spoonful helps soothe indigestion or acid-reflux.
9. Its deep moisturising properties help prevent stretchmarks when rubbed into the skin daily.
10. It soothes nappy rash.
11. It can help soothe congestion when rubbed on baby’s chest.
12. It’s an excellent skin moisturiser, especially for those dry areas like elbows or knees.