A newborn baby has tragically died after contracting a herpes virus from coming into contact with a cold sore.

 

Eloise Lampton passed away at Mackay Hospital in Queensland last week, despite being healthy at birth.

 

The baby, born on November 1st, alarmed doctors when her health started to deteriorate shortly after her birth.

 

After placing her on a life support machine, doctors discovered that Eloise had contracted a herpes virus.

 

Her shocked parents were naturally devastated by the revelation that their baby had developed the virus from a cold sore.

 

In an interview with the Daily Mail, mum Sarah Pugh said: “I was devastated to know she was born healthy and then this happened…It was passed on through a cold sore. You have to be in contact – kissed or touched. We didn’t have any visitors. It could have been from anyone.”

 

While parents Sarah and Douglas hoped and prayed the Eloise would pull through to fight off the virus, they were dealt another blow when she caught a staph infection in her blood.

 

 

After informing her heartbroken parents that there was nothing more they could do for Eloise, doctors took her off life support, and she died in her mother’s arms.

 

Sarah and Douglas have chosen to share their story in the hope of raising awareness of the health risks posed to newborn babies.

1k Shares

Latest

Trending

Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.