Common items in the home such as cosmetics, cleaning items, personal care products, over the counter medications, and house plants are the cause of most childhood poisonings. Ninety percent of all childhood poisonings occur in the home to children under the age of six.
If your child ingests anything that you think may be toxic, you must act fast.
First, remove the substance from the child making sure to keep a small amount of it or the container so you can identify the product. This will help doctors and emergency workers know where to start.
If your child has any of the products in their mouth, try to get them to spit it out.
Next, call emergency services if you notice any of these symptoms:
· Trouble breathing
· Pain in the mouth or throat
· Burns on the lips, tongue or face
· Seizures or convulsions
· Extreme lethargy
Never try to make your child vomit after ingesting a toxic chemical as more damage could occur to the throat, mouth, and esophagus.
If your child has ingested a product and you think they are not seriously ill from it, you should still contact a poison control center or the hospital for advice. Many times, a seemingly harmless item can have potential risks that you may not be aware of.
You can minimise your child’s risk of being poisoned by poison-proofing your home.
· Make sure to keep all poisonous items locked up or in a location that your child cannot access.
· Insist on child proof caps on all medications.
· Research the type of house plants in your home for possible toxins.
We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.
We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.