A “kind and good-hearted” 16-year-old boy has died – despite going to bed feeling fit and healthy the evening before his passing.
Understandably his family – parents Alison and Mark, and a sister, Gemma – have been left heartbroken by his sudden passing.
Last Saturday morning, Adam Tolfree was taken to hospital when he began vomiting, and had developed a rash and high temperature.
His condition rapidly deteriorated and despite the efforts of medical staff at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, he died later that evening.
The boy, who had been studying for his A-Levels, died from septicaemia, which may have been caused by meningococcal bacteria - the most common cause of meningitis, this blood infection can result in sepsis, a much more dangerous condition.
According to the Cambridge News, his family has now released a statement, saying that Adam was “kind and good-hearted and someone who had made a big difference to people’s lives”.
The statement added: “By being there for them when they needed him. He was thoroughly enjoying life.”
His family furthermore said Adam was fit and healthy and was up to date with all his vaccinations.
His school, Long Road Sixth Form College in Cambridge, said it will shortly hold a ceremony in his honour.
His principal, Heather Chambers said Adam was “positive” and “hardworking”, with “high aspirations”.
“He was very friendly, with a wide group of friends from both Bassingbourn Village College where he previously studied and Long Road Sixth Form College and they will all miss him.”
If you suspect your child has symptoms of Scepticaemia you should get medical advice straight away.
Signs and Symptoms include high temperature, extreme tiredness, violent shivering and chills, faintness, pale and clammy skin, rapid and shallow breathing, bruising or rash which do not disappear when you roll a class over them.
You can find out more about Scepticaemia here