Lead poisoning in children is not as common a problem these days thanks to governmental regulations. However, there are still many older homes and contaminated soil that cause children to get lead poisoning.
Commonly, lead poisoning will show up in children between ages 1 and 2. This is the time that everything goes into a toddler’s mouth which is one of the ways that lead enters the body. Children can also breathe lead contaminated dust or eat contaminated soil. Fortunately, lead is not absorbed through the skin.
 High levels of lead are mostly found in older homes that have lead-based paint and older lead water pipes. If you suspect that your home is the culprit, have a professional test your house, yard and water for lead. Paint with lead should be removed and water pipes should be replaced. Soil contamination is most frequently found near highways or industrial areas. If your soil is contaminated, you should contact local government officials. Other common items that can contain lead include any older furniture, flooring, crystal glassware, pottery, batteries, and toys.
The symptoms of lead poisoning are similar to many other illnesses making it hard to associate lead as the cause. There may be minor fatigue, irritability, aggression, difficulty sleeping, and loss of appetite, constipation, vomiting, and headache. If you suspect that your child has lead poisoning, it’s a good idea to have them tested.