A teenager from Bradford is being hailed a hero for saving two young kids after a charging hoverboard exploded.


Jibril Muhammed Faris was with his friend nine-year-old Tony Chiem and Tony’s eight-year-old sister, Karen, in their house when the board set alight.


Leading the kids to a safe bedroom, the 13-year-old rang 999 and followed the operator’s instructions to stop smoke entering the room.


It wasn’t until Tony and Karen’s mum, Thu Thi Tram, eventually got back into the house could the three youngsters escape.



They were taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary where they were treated for shock and smoke inhalation.


Talking about his son’s bravery to Bradford’s Telegraph and Argus newspaper, Tariq Majid spoke of how proud he is of his son: “As his father, I am really proud of him. A police officer outside said: 'Your son is a hero, if it was not for him they would have died'."


"I'm just happy that they are all alive."


The living-room was gutted by the fire, and station manager Mark Helliwell commended the teen for his “quick-thinking actions”.