We place cookies onto your computer to help make this website better. Without them, this site would not function correctly or be able to collect information to make your experience better. By continuing to use this site, we'll assume you're OK with this. Read more about our Privacy & Cookies.
How to get the most out of walking
Mums know how important it is to stay active in order to live a healthy life. While joining a gym is an expense that most can’t afford walking can be a fantastic alternative. Being a gentle exercise it can be enjoyed by families with varying levels of fitness. There are some lovely scenic routes all across Ireland which can be enjoyed as a whole family.
Here are some great tips for mums who want to get the most out of walking:
- Shoes must be comfortable and supportive, be light in weight and roomy around the toe.
- Walk at a pace that suits you but do try and push yourself each time you go for a walk. To challenge yourself increase your speed and push it until the end.
- Swing your arms as you go. You will burn more calories and work your upper arm muscles.
- Stretch it out. Stretching helps prevent injury and reduces stiffness.
- Remember to bring your water; it’s important to stay hydrated while exercising.