You asked

What if my child with learning disabilities doesn't get the necessary help in secondary school?

In general, your child’s individual education plan (IEP) is the map that documents exactly what services your child will receive, when he will receive them and from whom. The IEP is the best way to ensure that your child is getting the services that they need. IEP’S will eventually become legally binding documents which ensures the school must provide the services outlined within.
An IEP cannot be changed or altered in any way without your consent. If you have any concerns don’t be afraid to speak to the school principle because he will be responsible to see to it that children are receiving th services they need and are entitled to receive.
What are my options if any difficulties arise?
If there are any concerns about the care that your child is receiving, you should speak to the year head and voice your opinions.The Special Needs Organiser (SENO) assigned to the school should be notified as well as their special education teacher. A meeting may be called upon within a reasonable timeframe. You will be entitled to attend and any concerns you may have can be discussed.  If this meeting doesn’t resolve your concerns then you can contact the National Council for Special Education for further information and support.
It is important to take things one step at a time, speak to your child’s special education teacher and be clear about your concerns. Be assertive but not aggressive as everyone is doing the best that they can. Have your child’s IEP in front of you when you speak to the teacher or the other staff members. Remember, that you have a right to appeal as outlined in the NCSE and SESS websites.Try not to rush to judgement, try and work things out before threatening to appeal. The next most important port of call will be with the Special Needs Organiser assigned to the school.

More questions

If your child has been receiving extra help in primary school it is important to look for a secondary school that will suit his needs
What assistance your child is entitled to in secondary school
Your child will have an Individual education plan that outlines exactly what services your child will receive.
It's perfectly normal for parents of children with ADHD to worry about their child's future. 
Depending on what age your child is, there are different signs and symptoms of dyslexia that you can watch out for. 



Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.