You asked

What should I do if my child gets an electric shock?

If your toddler receives an electric shock, the result can be minor or extremely damaging. When electrical current is touched, it travels through the body looking for a place to exit. Along the way, the current can damage everything in its path. Depending on the strength and type of the current and the length of exposure, the shock can cause a mild jolt, various levels of burn, or serious internal injuries.

When a child is shocked, they can have burns, numbness, muscle contractions, pain, weakness, headaches, or problems hearing. If the shock is strong enough, a child can be rendered unconscious and stop breathing. They can also have seizures, cardiac arrest, brain damage, heart damage, or damage to other organs. Death can also rapidly occur in a severe shock.

If your child is shocked and you witness it, immediately shut off the source of the electricity by unplugging the cord, turning off circuit breakers, or removing the fuse from the fuse box. The source must be removed before your child can be touched. If it is not possible to remove the source, use a non-metallic object to separate the electrical source from your child. For instance, if your child is holding a metal pole, use a broom handle or rolled up magazine to knock his hand away from the pole before you touch him.

Check your child’s breathing and begin CPR if required. Have someone call emergency services at the same time, or if you have nobody available, call them yourself after administering CPR for two minutes.

If your child is breathing, look at his skin colour. If he is very pale, call for emergency help and monitor his breathing.

Check for skin that looks burned. If burns are present, do not put ice or ointment on them. Your child should be taken to the hospital unless you are certain that the burn is very minor and no other damage is present. In the case of minor burns, call your child’s doctor. The doctor will clean and dress the burns and make sure that there is no internal damage. If internal damage is suspected, your child will have lab tests and may even require hospitalisation.

More questions

Although a bee sting can be painful, it is usually fairly harmless.
 
Electric shocks can be serious or minor so how do you know what to do?
Toddlers often get bruises but when should you be concerned?
Accidental poisoning happens when children get their hands on unsuspectingly hazardous items lying around the house. Ensure you thoroughly inspect every room of your house!
How to treat your child’s puncture wound and when to seek medical attention
Most young children will experiment with biting. It’s a natural reaction of a frustrated or angry child.
When a child is vomiting, it is usually minor and no cause for concern; however, in some cases, your child may need medical attention.
Keeping your child safer this summer is easy, if you exercise a little common sense, and use these tips.
As a general rule, a wound that is approximately ¼ deep or ½ inch long and is open will more than likely need stitches to prevent infection, stop bleeding, and heal properly with minimal scarring.
Children love to put things in their mouths, which is a great cause for concern when so many children suffer from an accidental poisoning each year.

Latest

Trending

Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.