Many times it is hard to tell which materials and chemicals are toxic and some items that you may not even consider as dangerous are toxic. You may want to do a room by room inspection of the chemicals in your home. Make sure to check drawers, closets, and cupboards. All toxic substances should be labelled and out of reach from your child.
These are the hazardous materials and chemicals that are most commonly ingested by children under 6:
• Cosmetics and personal products
• Prescription medications
• Cleaning products
• Over the counter medications
• Household plants
• Paint thinner and remover
To make sure your child does not come in contact with harmful substances or materials you should always take these precautions:
1. Lock up any harmful substances or materials.
2. Dispose of any prescriptions or medications that are old or expired.
3. Do not expect child resistant lids or containers to work properly.
4. Keep chemicals in their original containers, so that in the event of an accident, you will know what it is that your child may have ingested.
5. Read all labels on products you are about to buy, and try to buy less-toxic.
6. And lastly, always keep an eye on your child. It only takes a second for a curious toddler to get into something they shouldn’t.