You asked

Why is it important to poison proof your home?

Children love to put things in their mouths, which is a great cause for concern when 1 million children suffer from an accidental poisoning each year. A great way the help your child from consuming toxic materials is to make sure all toxic materials and chemicals are in a locked cupboard or storage area, and out of reach of your child’s hands.
 
Many times it is hard to tell which materials and chemicals are toxic and some items that you may not even consider as dangerous are toxic. You may want to do a room by room inspection of the chemicals in your home. Make sure to check drawers, closets, and cupboards. All toxic substances should be labelled and out of reach from your child.
 
These are the hazardous materials and chemicals that are most commonly ingested by child under 6:
·        Cosmetics and personal products
·        Prescription medications
·        Cleaning products
·        Over the counter medications
·        Household plants
·        Vitamins
·        Paint thinner and remover
·        Antifreeze
·        Pesticide
·        Alcohol
 
To make sure your child does not come in contact with harmful substances or materials you should always take these precautions. 
 
1.      Lock up any harmful substances or materials.
2.      Dispose of any prescriptions or medications that are old or expired.
3.      Do not expect child resistant lids or containers to work properly.
4.      Keep chemicals in their original containers, so that in the event of an accident, you will know what it is that your child may have ingested.
5.      Read all labels on products you are about to buy, and try to buy less-toxic.
And lastly, always keep an eye on your child. It only takes a second for a curious toddler to get into something they shouldn’t.

More questions

Although a bee sting can be painful, it is usually fairly harmless.
 
Electric shocks can be serious or minor so how do you know what to do?
Toddlers often get bruises but when should you be concerned?
Accidental poisoning happens when children get their hands on unsuspectingly hazardous items lying around the house. Ensure you thoroughly inspect every room of your house!
How to treat your child’s puncture wound and when to seek medical attention
Most young children will experiment with biting. It’s a natural reaction of a frustrated or angry child.
When a child is vomiting, it is usually minor and no cause for concern; however, in some cases, your child may need medical attention.
Keeping your child safer this summer is easy, if you exercise a little common sense, and use these tips.
As a general rule, a wound that is approximately ¼ deep or ½ inch long and is open will more than likely need stitches to prevent infection, stop bleeding, and heal properly with minimal scarring.
Children love to put things in their mouths, which is a great cause for concern when so many children suffer from an accidental poisoning each year.

Latest

Trending

Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.