You asked

How will I know if my baby has vision problems?

It can take some time for a newborn to adjust to the world that they have just opened their eyes to. While they are adjusting in the first few months of life it is normal for their eyes to be occasionally crossed or for them to only see objects that are up close. There are certain signs that you should watch out for which could indicate a problem. If you notice any of these signs you should consult with your G.P.
  • Your baby’s eyes don’t move normally: One doesn’t move when the other moves or one looks different when the other is moving
  • Your baby is more than one month old but lights, mobiles, or other brightly coloured objects don’t seem to attract his attention
  • Your baby always has one eye closed
  • When taking photos you notice that there is a persistent white spot in your baby’s eye, where there is normally a red spot caused by the camera flash
  • White or yellow material in the corner of your baby’s eye
  • One or both of your baby’s eyes is bulging
  • Redness in either eye that lasts more than a few days
  • Your baby's eyes are tearing even when he isn’t crying
  • Your baby seems to squint very often
  • His eyelid seems to droop
  • Your baby’s eyes seem sensitive to light
Particularly after three months of age, you should consult with your G.P. if you notice any of the following:
  • Your baby’s eyes turn way in or out, and stay that way
  • Your baby’s eyes don’t follow a toy moved from side to side in front of him
  • His eyes seem to jump back and forth
  • He seems to have to tilt his head when he looks at something
Your baby’s G.P. will be able to determine if there is any cause to be concerned and if necessary refer you to an ophthalmologist. 

More questions

Children's eyes are sensitive so it is vital to protect them from the sun's harmful rays.
Your young child can have their eyes tested even if they can't read
Regular eye exams are essential in order to monitor your child's eyesight.
There are some signs to watch out for if you think your child may have a vision problem. 
Should your child get any kind of chemical in her eye you should treat it as an emergency and bring her to the hospital immediately.
You should take your child to their G.P. or to the hospital if you notice any of these symptoms. 
You should seek immediate medical attention if an object seems to be imbedded in your child's eye. 
If your child appears to have something in his eye you should seek immediate medical attention if it is imbedded in the eye. 
As your baby learns to crawl and begins to explore her surroundings you will need to child proof your house to prevent eye injuries.
Babies and young children are always getting up to all sorts of mischief and eye injuries are quite common. It is important to always consult with your G.P. should any eye injuries occur.