Here are some signs to help you determine if your child is ready for potty training:
• You notice that your child is holding themselves as if they have to go to the potty. This could mean that they are now controlling their bladder or bowel and is a definite sign they are ready for training.
• They make facial expressions like they may be trying to hold their bladder or bowel. Again, this is another indication that they are holding back.
• While playing, they squirm or sway from side to side as if they are holding their bladder or bowel. This could also be sign that they are holding back.
• You notice that they seem very uncomfortable if they are wearing a dirty nappy. Once your toddler is aware that a dirty nappy is “icky”, they will get very still or walk funny if they have a dirty nappy on.
• Upon awakening, they have a dry nappy. This indicates that your child has the ability to hold their bladder during sleep.
• Your child has showed interest in the toilet. This is the important one! Once your toddler shows an interest, it makes the process much easier.